Mathematical Modelling in Industrial and Environmental Problems
July 12 – 25, 2017
Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia
This summer school aims to provide practical, working solutions to real-life problems using methods from the mathematical sciences. The program is appropriate for final-year undergraduates, masters, and first-year PhD students in Mathematics. A total number of 40 participants from Indonesian and South East Asian countries are expected.
Objectives of the program are
1. to give young researchers a platform in which they can work together with their peers to model real-life problems, and provide recommendation;
2. to enhance their modelling skill;
3. to facilitate contacts between mathematicians working in these areas and the participants coming to the school.
During the program, two activities will be conducted: three days courses and workshop. The courses will present some basic concepts of modelling, including dimensional analysis/scaling, asymptotic, numerical convergence, and various problems of modelling. In the workshop, participants will work together in a group and will be guided by lecturers to solve the problems. Problems that will be worked out are (tentative list)
1. traffic management on a public area;
2. dump truck barrier design;
3. how should we prune our trees?;
For further information, please visit our website at http://www.math.itb.ac.id/summerschool/